Bicycle Injury Lawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer

School Zone Accidents in Wisconsin

Crash statistics generally show that if a motor vehicle is traveling 20 mph or less and there is a collision with a pedestrian, the pedestrian has a very high chance of living-about 90-95%.  As speeds increase so does the chance of death.  For example at a speed of 40 mph, the chance of surviving a motor vehicle collision is closer to about 5%.  As speeds increase so does the distance traveled before reacting.  School zones are set at 20 mph because at that speed, most fatalities can be avoided.  See below for more information on School Zones including how children have no concept of danger and have 2/3 the peripheral vision of an adult: